Thompson Reading Clinic offers an excellent Introduction to Dyslexia Workshop.
- Learn about dyslexia signs and symptoms. They will understand how dyslexia is a language based learning disorder that effects 1 in 5 people. They will learn about the hereditary nature of dyslexia and how it is found in families.
- Listen to a panel of students with dyslexia speak of their experiences with dyslexia, how they navigate the school system and how they handle bullying. The panel concludes by speaking about all of their dyslexic strengths.
- Participate in a dyslexia simulation to understand the complexity and challenges that people with dyslexia face daily.
- Learn about Orton Gillingham tutoring and how this approach is the only approach that is research validated and evidence based for teaching people with dyslexia to read, spell and write.
The workshop concludes with a discussion of dyslexic strengths, famous people with dyslexia and how we can help our own students and family members.
Our workshop is full audience participation, hands-on, offers powerful student testimonials and is filled with videos of our students when they are learning and in the community using their dyslexic superpowers.
- Darcy Thompson has a MA-SpEd, holds four CA credentials in the field of special education and is a certified dyslexia specialist.
For information about holding a workshop for your community, school or group please click contact me.